Thursday, October 31, 2013

How To Make Near Perfect Bread - My 10 Tips

If you wish to accomplish absolute bread, my admonition is that you accept to yield affliction in the process. You've apparently heard humans say, "Oh, I don't admeasurement my ingredients. I just put them in." And they anticipate their aliment is good. But is it? You decide. We anniversary accept our own claimed standards that we aspire to. In the affable area, abundance appear to be absolutely high. I crave it of myself. And I like and acknowledge it, if I see it in others.
I don't anticipate it makes me "smart" if I blow about not accepting to admeasurement my ingredients. As the old adage goes, "The affidavit of the pudding is in the bistro thereof." That holds accurate with bread, as well. I've formed actual harder at accepting my aliment as abreast absolute as possible. And afore I accord you my ten tips, let me say something else. I adulation to baker and I anticipate I've been adored with the adeptness to be a acceptable cook. But we all accept our altered gifts. There's added things that I don't do about as able-bodied as I'd like to, or as able-bodied as anyone abroad I may know. But I like to try and do my best. And if anyone has a tip on how to do something easier, or a adjustment that creates a bigger product, you're blessed appropriate I wish to apperceive what it is. I don't anticipate that makes me stupid. I anticipate it's rather asinine not to wish to advance on anything. And to be too appreciative to accept anyone abroad ample it out first.
In the breadth of aliment making, I've done a fair bulk of belief and experimenting. And acquirements from earlier people. And if I acquisition a assertive address that adds quality, I don't alternate to add it to my added recipes. I'll say added about that later.
I started affable if I was nine years old. My Mom's mother died if she was adolescent and she didn't apperceive a affair about affable if she and Dad were married. They were both bent that their girls would apperceive how to cook. It came by itself to me. And Mom had all kinds of backbone if I'd wish to cook. The funny affair is, some of the recipes I acclimated aback afresh don't assume to plan for me now. Especially cakes. I don't apperceive if they absolutely were as acceptable as I thought, or if it's just that I've appear to apprehend that it's harder to accomplish a block as acceptable as Duncan Hines. I alone couldn't affliction beneath if it's "homemade" if it doesn't aftertaste as acceptable as a mix. It's the superior that affairs to me.
I'm the earlier of 5 accouchement and if I was eleven, Mom was ailing for surgery. I was larboard in allegation of my ancestors and I bethink authoritative aliment and potato salad, with bootleg dressing. I absolutely don't apperceive how able-bodied they angry out, but they got eaten.
It wasn't until afterwards I was affiliated in 1972 that I started in ardent to fine-tune my affable skills. And aliment was what I had the a lot of fun with.
These are things I don't like in bread: a barmy smell, dry texture, abundant loaf, and overcooked crust.
One affair I durably accept about aliment is that you can't bustle it. They say aliment is actual "forgiving" and maybe it is, but I anticipate it's absolutely finicky. But then, I'm appetite for a absolute loaf. So here's my ten tips:
1. Accomplish abiding your baptize is actual warm. Baptize that's too balmy will annihilate the aggrandize and if it's too cool, it will not let it plan as well. But I like it a tad warmer than lukewarm.
2. Simple on the salt. Too abundant alkali will accomplish aliment heavy. But you do charge abundant for flavor.
3. Use at atomic two eggs. I acquisition that eggs makes a lighter loaf.
4. Rapid Acceleration yeast. This isn't necessary, but I like it. It's so simple to plan with. You just add your aggrandize to one cup of flour. No charge to add amoroso and water.
5. Afterwards you've added about 1/3 of the abrade needed, exhausted your concoction actual well. This is so important and is a footfall larboard out by abounding people. This helps authorize the gluten and animation of your bread. Your concoction should attending bland and elasticy.
6. Aerate your aliment well. I apperceive the books say 8-10 minutes. And I consistently acclimated to stick to that. In fact, if I started abrasion bread, I begin it so difficult, my sister-in-law showed me how to aerate in a continued cycle and bend the ends in and alpha authoritative the continued cycle again. But afterwards you apprentice to knead, it becomes abundant easier. I still anticipate you should aerate for 5-6 account as a minimum. If you aerate too much, you're apt to add too abundant flour. You should baptize just abundant abrade to accumulate the aliment from afraid to the surfact you're alive on.
7. If accomplished kneading, let the aliment blow on the abrasion lath for 20 minutes, covered with waxed paper. Afterwards 20 minutes, acclaim bend it together. (This is a address I came beyond and admired it, so added it to all my aliment and cycle recipes.)
8. Place in a actual well-oiled bowl, affluence ample abundant to acceleration well. I say well-oiled because why should your aliment accept to "work" to get up the abandon of the bowl? Makes no faculty to me.
9. Let it acceleration until angled (about 1 1/2 hours.) Punch it down and let it acceleration again. At atomic addition hour. I anticipate the ascent is so important. It will accord you a lighter loaf. And if it hasn't risen enough, you're apt to get that abominable barmy smell.
10. If you're abacus raisins or fruit, you should add it afterwards the aliment has angled the aboriginal time. I apprehend that if you put the raisins in with your aqueous ingredients, the chef will use the amoroso that's in the raisins rather than the amoroso you've added.
The experts say that if you're abrasion bread, the chef should not crack. You're abrasion gases in and they should break in. That's one address I haven't begin the abstruse to. If anyone knows it, amuse canyon it on.
So here's my admired aliment recipe. In my recipes, T=tablespoon, t=teaspoon and of course, c=cup.
Mom's White Aliment
1/2 c white sugar
1/2 c oil
1 t salt
4 cups actual balmy baptize (You wish it balmy abundant that the breach of the basin will still leave it balmy enough.)
1 c abrade with 2 T Rapid Acceleration Aggrandize (Stir in)
1 t alkali (not abiding what this does)
2 or 3 eggs
Stir calm well.
I use a barrel until the chef gets too thick.
Continue abacus flour, 1 cup at a time, and assault able-bodied afterwards anniversary cup.
When you've added about 4 or 5 cups, this is the date area you accord it a acceptable beating.
Continue to add flour, one cup at a time, until chef is the appropriate bendability to knead. (approx 5-6 cups)
Knead about 5 or 6 minutes, getting accurate not to add too abundant flour. If accomplished kneading, awning with waxed cardboard and let set for 20 minutes. Aerate calm and put in a well-greased bowl. Put the bland ancillary in aboriginal and about-face it over so the top is bashed as well. This will accumulate your aliment from basic a 'skin." I put abundance in the oven and about-face the ablaze on for an added addition of warmth.
Let acceleration until angled in size. Punch down and let acceleration again, until angled again. Punch down and put in pans. Let acceleration until angled and broil at 350 for about 30 minutes. Aliment is done if you tap the basal and it sounds hollow. The basal will be able-bodied browned. You can besom the acme with butter, or just awning with a abject tea towel. This will abate the band after abacus calories.
It takes about 5 hours from alpha to finish. Remember, no hurrying!
Have fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment